Bay Area - Transportation
3 Major Airports:
- From San Francisco:
- take BART.
- From South Bay:
- take Caltrain to Millbrae; take SamTrans Route 292 or BART from Millbrae Station to SFO.
- take Caltrain to San Bruno (the Caltrian station is at a different location than the BART San Bruno station), talk 15-20 min to the Long Term Parking airport shuttle station.
Served by VTA route 60 https://newservice.vta.org/routes/60 connecting Milpitas BART in 20 min. Frequency: Weekday 15 min, Weekend 20 min
Served by BART: take the BART Oakland Airport people mover from Coliseum BART to the airport.
Other airports with commercial flights
- Sonoma County Airport (IATA: STS):
- served by Alaska, American, United, and Avelo
- SMART has a station nearby
- Concord (IATA: CCR):
- served by JSX, to Southern California
- Capitol Corridor: San Jose to Sacramento https://www.capitolcorridor.org/
- San Joaquin: Oakland to Bakersfield https://amtraksanjoaquins.com/
- California Zephyr: San Francisco to Chicago
- Coast Starlight: Seattle to Los Angeles, 1 train per day
Rush hour only: 4 trains from Stockton to San Jose in the morning, 4 trains from San Jose to Stockton in the afternoon.
- Modesto, Ceres (2022), Turlock and ultimately Merced
- from Stockton to Natomas in Sacramento, near Sacramento airport (end of 2023).
San Jose to San Francisco
131.4 mi (211.5 km), 1,676 mm; eBart standard gauge (1,435 mm)
Bay Area Rapid Transit. Connecting SFO airport and OAK airport.
No day pass for bart.
VTA Light Rail
3 lines, 42.2 mi (67.9 km). Standard gauge (1,435 mm).
MUNI day pass in app for $5
- E Embacadero
- F Market & Wharves
PCC Streetcars + A diverse collection of trolleys, trams, and streetcars from many world cities.
SF Cable Car
The world's last manually operated cable car system.
- California Street Line: west-east, along California Street, between Market Street and Van Ness Ave.
- Powell-Mason: north-south, Powell BART/MUNI station to Fisherman's Wharf
- Powell-Hyde: north-south, Powell BART/MUNI station to San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, west of Fisherman's Wharf
Ferry / Cruise
San Francisco Bay Ferry: from SF Ferry Building to Oakland, Alameda, Richmond, Vallejo. https://sanfranciscobayferry.com/
Golden Gate Ferry: from SF Ferry Building to Larkspur, Sausalito, Tiburon https://www.goldengate.org/ferry/system-maps/
Blue & Gold Fleet: from Pier 41 to Sausalito, Tiburon, Angel Island; and cruises https://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/
Red & White Fleet: cruises only, no ferry. https://redandwhite.com/
Tideline: Berkeley to San Francisco https://tidelinetickets.com/
- Hercules ferry terminal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_station)
- Redwood City Ferry (https://www.redwoodcityport.com/ferry)
- Mission Bay
- Treasure Island
- Hovercraft to south bay (under study)
San Francisco: Van Ness https://www.sfmta.com/projects/van-ness-improvement-project
AC Transit: https://www.actransit.org/tempo
VTA: Rapid 500, 522, 523, 568
Mountain View Community Shuttle: Free, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week. Funded by Google. All electric vehicles. https://mvcommunityshuttle.com/
mvgo: Free. https://mvgo.org/
Bike Silicon Valley https://bikesiliconvalley.org/
Central Bikeway Study: https://www.vta.org/projects/central-bikeway-study
Cruise terminals: SF Pier 27 and Pier 35
Shipping ports: Port of Oakland and Port of Richmond.
Proposal to remove I-980: http://www.connectoakland.org/
The difference is that local buses make all stops, Rapid (R) make select stops, and Express (X) travel nonstop for a while then make all stops (and tend to be pretty peak commuter-oriented).
Here's a basic schematic, where L=Local, R=Rapid, and E=Express. The left is downtown and the right is the "outer end" of the service. A pipe (|) represents a stop while a dash (-) represents a skipped stop.
L: ||||||||||||||||||||| R: |---|---|---|---|---| X: |||----------||||||||
Niles Canyon Railway: between Fremont and Sunol http://www.ncry.org/
Ardenwood Historic Farm – Fremont
California Trolley and Railroad Corporation – San Jose
Napa Valley Wine Train – between Napa and St. Helena
Roaring Camp & Big Trees Narrow Gauge Railroad
Santa Cruz, Big Trees and Pacific Railway
- San Francisco Cable Car Museum, Free
- San Francisco Railway Museum
- Golden State Model Railroad Museum – Richmond
- Alameda County Fairgrounds – Pleasanton
- Black Diamond Lines Model Railroad Club – Antioch
- Diablo Valley Lines – Walnut Creek
- Niles Depot Museum – Fremont
- Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society – Walnut Creek
- Barron Park Garden Railway – Palo Alto
- Golden Gate Model Railroad Club – San Francisco
- West Bay Model Railroad Association – Menlo Park
- Edward Peterman Museum of Railroad History – Santa Clara
- Silicon Valley Lines – San Jose
- BART extension to San Jose ETA 2029 https://www.vta.org/projects/bart-sv
- electrification 2024
- MUNI extensions
- Central Subway: 2022
- SMART extensions
- Dumbarton rail
- ValleyLink: 2026 https://www.valleylinkrail.com/
- Link21 Program: https://link21program.org/en
- Ferry expansion to Treasure Island, Mission Bay