Ten of the eleven states of Southeast Asia are members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), while East Timor is an observer state.
East India Company:
- EIC: British
- VOC: Dutch East India Company
- Luang: Royal
- Peranakans (峇峇娘惹): an ethnic group defined by their genealogical descent from the first waves of Chinese settlers in the Malay Peninsula and Indonesian Archipelago.
- Wat: a temple complex
- Bot or Ubosot (Ordination hall): the main prayer room and one of the most important structures of the wat.
- Viharn: Assembly hall
- Chedi / Stupa: contained relics of the Buddha
- Prang: a tower with a conical shape with a broad base getting narrower towards the top and an entrance on one side. a common shrine element of Hindu and Buddhist architecture in the Khmer Empire. The oldest prangs in Thailand were inspired by Angkor Wat in Cambodia. In Thailand it appears only with the most important Buddhist temples, e.g. Wat Arun.
The language is used in Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, as well as parts of Thailand.
Common words in names of entities:
- Kuala Lumpur: muddy(lumpur) confluence(kuala)
- Jaya: comes from Sanskrit, a root word for "victory" or "success". Often used in business entities or cities, e.g. Petaling Jaya("Victory in Petaling"), Kelana Jaya, etc.
- Batang: branch
- Bukit: hill
- Bintang: star
- Bandar: city, e.g. Bandar Seri Begawan(capital of Brunei)
- Negara: country, e.g. Bank Negara Malaysia
- Pasir: sand
JB Sentral to KL Sentral: KTM Intercity to Gemas, change to KTM ETS.
The line from Gemas to Johor Bahru is a singale track and is being double tracked and electrified. Gemas is the intersection of West Coast Line and East Coast Line, and the current southern terminal of KTM ETS.
The Jakarta-Bandung high-speed rail is planned to begin its operations to public in 2022.
China–Laos railway: 414 km, standard gauge, electrified. From Vientiane to Boten, connecting to China's Mohan, to Kunming.
- Passenger: 160 km/h, CR200J Fuxing
- Cargo: 120 km/h, HXD3CA
Language: Lao is mutually intelligible with Thai and Isan.
- Kuala Lumpur
- Kota Kinabalu
- Chiang Mai
- Phnom Pehn
- Siem Reap
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Bandar Seri begawan
暹粒 Siem Reap 的字面意思是“打败暹罗人”